Re: [Linux-cluster] NFS client failover

crypto grid wrote:

    I have a small cluster which shares a filesystem via GFS on a SAN,
    with iSCSI. There are a couple of hosts external to this cluster
    which I would like to have access to the GFS filesystem via NFS. I
    have exported the same mountpoint on each of the hosts that have the
    GFS mount.

    I can connect via NFS to one of these cluster hosts, but when it
    goes down, I have to unmount it, and then remount against another
    host. I suspect I could do something with a floating IP? but I was
    wondering if it would be possible to do this with client side logic
    so that the nfs mount automatically moves to a different working
    host if one stops responding?

I don't see why you want to resolve this from the client side.

I figured that failover would happen more smoothly if the client was aware of and in control of what was going on. If the IP suddenly moves to another NFS server I don't know how the NFS client will cope with that.

You must configure an ip address resource.

Yeah, that's what I was going to try if there wasn't a client side solution.

Take a look at this document:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/pdf/Configuration_Example_-_NFS_Over_GFS.pdf

That document looks very useful. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/