[Linux-cluster] Fencing Logs

I have a really strange problem on one of my clusters. It exhibits all signs of fencing being broken, but the fencing agents work when tested manually, and I cannot find anything in syslog to even suggest that fencing is being attempted by the surviving node (which just locks up on GFS access until the other node returns).

Has anybody got any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

The relevant extract from my cluster.conf is:

<clusternodes>
        <clusternode name="hades-cls" nodeid="1" votes="1">
                <fence>
                        <method name = "1">
                                <device name = "hades-oob"/>
                        </method>
                </fence>
        </clusternode>
        <clusternode name="persephone-cls" nodeid="2" votes="1">
                <fence>
                        <method name = "1">
                                <device name ="persephone-oob"/>
                        </method>
                </fence>
        </clusternode>
</clusternodes>
<fencedevices>
<fencedevice agent="fence_eric" ipaddr="10.1.254.251" login="fence" passwd="some_password" name="hades-oob"/> <fencedevice agent="fence_eric" ipaddr="10.1.254.252" login="fence" passwd="some_password" name="persephone-oob"/>
</fencedevices>

I have a near identical setup on all my other clusters, so this is somewhat baffling. What else could be relevant to this, specifically in the context of no fencing attempts even showing up in the logs? I have set up scores of RHCS clusters and never seen anything like this before. The only unusual thing about this cluster is that I had to write a bespoke fencing agent for the machines, but these test true when I use them to down/reboot the machines.

TIA.

Gordan