[Linux-cluster] GFS2 hangs on one node of a two node cluster

Marko Jung marko.jung at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 26 17:00:32 UTC 2009

Hello,

this is the second time this week all my gfs2 filesystems are unaccessible
on one of my two node cluster. I am using CentOS 5.3 (the evil AS ;-) ) and
  the cluster otherwise works well. What is used: clvmd to manage 40TB SAN
storage in combination with GFS2. No other repositories except Fedora EPEL5
used.  Kernel is latest (2.6.18-128.4.1.el5) and all provided software
updates are in place.

The issue can be described as all gfs2 filesystems being not accessible
without any error messages by user space applications, except bash
complaining at logins: "-bash: cd: /san/home/USERNAME: Input/output error
". Trying to unmount the filesystems also did not succeed. Just a reboot
seems to fix the issue.

The first time the problem occurred the system got a load of >800 (!!) but
just because all processes were waiting for IO.

Find an excerpt of the messages that seem to be related to that issue
attached. Any hints, ideas and comments highly appreciated. Thank you for
your good work and help!

Marko