[Linux-cluster] openais on RHEL 5.4 and broadcast?

Jakov Sosic jakov.sosic at srce.hr
Mon Dec 21 00:06:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 14:36 -0700, Steven Dake wrote:

> The developers get alot of mail.  It was probably missed.  My apologies.

No problems... you are not paid to answer all the questions posted here.
Thank you in any case for your quick answer!

> When using cman, you can specify totem parameters in the cluster.conf
> file.  The man page on rhel5.4 may be out of date.  I can't recommend
> broadcast, but to use it in cman, add <totem broadcast="yes"> inside the
> cluster block.  From the current man page:

That's the part I was searching for. It's not documented anywhere... I
tried with:

<totem>
   <interface broadcast="yes"/>
</totem>

because that's the analogy to syntax of openais.conf.

Also, I've read RHEL 5.4 release documents, in which it states that
openais now supports broadcast, but that it's a "technology preview".
Also, there's no mention of broadcast in cman. I've read about setting
up cman, with all the totem/logging/event/aisexec stuff but no sign of
broadcast at all. Maybe you should put a note, and the example you
provided, to the man pages too?

And about not recommending broadcast - I know multicast is superior for
cluster membership usage, but I'm just pushed to the wall with Cisco
switches which don't support pim sparse-dense-mode, with current IOS,
and require license upgrade which would result in additional costs :(

Also from my experience with RHEL v4, broadcast worked as a charm, and I
rarely if ever had problems with it.

As I say, I use multicast if I can, but I think this addon to 5.4 is a
great thing because now RHCS can be run on any kind of switches no
matter if the support the IGMP snooping / pim-sparse-dense or not.

Once again, I will try this solution, and I will report back my results.
Thank you.

--
|    Jakov Sosic    |    ICQ: 28410271    |   PGP: 0x965CAE2D   |