[Linux-cluster] Issue with KDE with kernel later than 2.6.18-53.1.21

Randy Brown randy.brown at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 4 16:00:24 UTC 2009

We are seeing a very strange issue with KDE with all kernels later than
2.6.18-53.1.21 on our cluster nodes.  When users attempt to log into the
machine using KDE, it never makes it to the KDE splash screen.  The
machine just hangs on a solid blue screen.  I can then restart the
Xserver and login using Gnome, and it logs in without any issues.
Unfortunately, for us, KDE is the standard desktop environment used by
our development group.  I can reboot the the cluster to the
2.6.18-53.1.21 kernel and both KDE and Gnome work as expected.
Obviously, I'd prefer to be running the latest kernel.  I will gladly
provide more info if needed.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Randy

Info about our cluster:
It is a 2 node cluster running Centos 5 with up to date patches.  I am
using the cluster as a NAS head to serve NFS mounts out to our network
from an iscsi SAN.

Current running kernel:
2.6.18-53.1.21.el5  (Running this kernel so KDE logins work)

Most current installed kernel:
2.6.18-92.1.22.el5

Cluster packages:
lvm2-cluster-2.02.32-4.el5