[Linux-cluster] rm -r on gfs2 filesystem is very slow

Peter Schobel pschobel at 1iopen.net
Wed Jul 8 20:58:30 UTC 2009

I am trying to set up a four node cluster but am getting very poor
performance when removing large directories. A directory approximately
1.6G  in size takes around 5 mins to remove from the gfs2 filesystem
but removes in around 10 seconds from the local disk.

I am using CentOS 5.3 with kernel 2.6.18-128.1.16.el5PAE.

The filesystem was formatted in the following manner: mkfs.gfs2 -t
wtl_build:dev_home00 -p lock_dlm -j 10
/dev/mapper/VolGroupGFS-LogVolDevHome00 and is being mounted with the
following options: _netdev,noatime,defaults.

If anyone knows what could be causing this please let me know. I'm
happy to provide any other information.

Peter Schobel
~