[Linux-cluster] rm -r on gfs2 filesystem is very slow

Kaerka Phillips kbphillips80 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 18:26:52 UTC 2009

We found with GFS2 on RHEL5.3 the same issue, and although we did not
resolve it (and are migrating to NFS+SAN instead), we were able to partially
mitigate it with several suggestions from either RedHat's support or from
the cluster list:
1. disable LS color output (http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-6533)
2. the "nodiratime,noatime" mount flags
3. Unlocking the plock rate to allow maximum locks generated and purged per
second with the "plock_rate_limit=0" option in cluster.conf

That said though, we found that the GFS2 was only about as fast as NFS4 on
GigE networks, and not the best solution for our setup.