[Linux-cluster] EMC vs HP EVA

Jonathan Buzzard j.buzzard at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jul 15 15:05:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 08:00 -0600, Aaron Benner wrote:
> We have an EMC AX150i here and it works very well, but EMC's policy
> makes it pretty expensive.  We just added 8 720 GB drives to our
> unit.  The drives could be purchased commodity for about $80-120, but
> to put them into the EMC box we had to purchase "certified" units with
> the mounting sleds for $500 per.  Seemed like a pretty steep markup at
> the time.

That is par for the course, they all come in platinum sleds whether you
get EMC, HP, IBM etc.

Last time I looked list price for a 1TB SATA drive for an IBM DS5000 was
something like 2000 USD.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                      Tel: +441382-386998
Storage Administrator, College of Life Sciences