[Linux-cluster] "dlm_controld[nnnn]: cluster is down, exiting" on node1 when starting node2

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 17:26:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 13:20 -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Steven Dake wrote:

> >> To clarify, aisexec does not often disappear, it's very reliable.  The point
> >> was that in the rare case when it does, it's notorious for not leaving any
> >> reasons behind.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >>

> > 99.9% of the time there would be a core file in /var/lib/openais/core*
> > if aisexec faults.
>
> Only file I have there is named.
>
> ringid_10.39.171.212
>
> >  We have not seen faults during normal operations for
> > years in a released version under typical gfs2 usage scenarios.  If
> > there is no core, it means some other component failed, exited, and
> > caused that node to be fenced, or the core file could not be written by
> > the OS because of some other OS specific failure.  Another option is
> > that the OOM killer killed aisexec.
>
> No sign of the oom killer in the log I quoted yesterday.
>
> >  I would have a hard time believing
> > aisexec would crash without a core file while the operating system was
> > still functional.
> >
> > In the trunk we are enhancing our failure analysis to do fulltime event
> > tracing so failures can be debugged more rapidly then looking at a core
> > file.  I hope that helps.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'll try to reproduce the scenario. Meanwhile I'm still looking for hints
> as to how to get more visibility of what is happening.

some users change their default core file storage location.  This would
then override the defaults used by openais.  another possibility is
selinux is enabled.  aisexec integration with selinux needs more work
and selinux might prevent a core file from being written.

You can check selinux by looking /etc/selinux/config. If it is set to
enforcing or permisssive, that may be your culprit.

Regards
-steve