Re: [Linux-cluster] question about 2 nodes cluster

You don't need a third node or quorum disk... A 2-node cluster is sort of a special case, which is why there is a special config line for a setup with only 2 nodes. I'm running a couple of 2-node clusters right now with no quorum disk. The main issue I've encountered is that they can go split-brain easily, and you get to watch both nodes fence each other off endlessly. Adding clean_start="1" to the fence_daemon line helps prevent this, but a quorum disk would be better if you're absolutely committed to a 2-node setup.

I'm running a test cluster at this moment with 3 nodes and a 1Gb quorum partition that is shared out via iSCSI. I sort of discovered that I needed a quorum disk the hard way after taking 2 nodes down and the suriviving node gave up due to the cluster being inquorate.