Re: [Linux-cluster] GFS2 locking issues

That didn't work, but I changed it to:

        <dlm plock_ownership="1" plock_rate_limit="0"/>

And I'm getting different results, but still not good performance. Running ping_pong on one node

[root sc2 ~]# ./ping_ping /mnt/backup/test.dat 4
    5870 locks/sec

I think that should be much higher, but as soon as I start it on another node it drops to 97 locks/sec

Any other ideas?

--Dennis

Quoting Abhijith Das <adas redhat com>:

Dennis,

You seem to be running plock_rate_limit=100 that limits the number of
plocks/sec to 100 to avoid network flooding due to plocks.

Setting this as <gfs_controld plock_rate_limit="0"/> in cluster.conf
should give you better plock performance.

Hope this helps,
Thanks!
--Abhi

Dennis B. Hopp wrote:
We have a three node nfs/samba cluster that we seem to be having very
poor performance on GFS2.  We have a samba share that is acting as a
disk to disk backup share for Backup Exec and during the backup
process the load on the server will go through the roof until the
network requests timeout and the backup job fails.

I downloaded the ping_pong utility and ran it and seem to be getting
terrible performance:

[root sc2 ~]# ./ping_ping /mnt/backup/test.dat 4
       97 locks/sec

The results are the same on all three nodes.

I can't seem to figure out why this is so bad.  Some additional information:

[root sc2 ~]# gfs2_tool gettune /mnt/backup
new_files_directio = 0
new_files_jdata = 0
quota_scale = 1.0000   (1, 1)
logd_secs = 1
recoverd_secs = 60
statfs_quantum = 30
stall_secs = 600
quota_cache_secs = 300
quota_simul_sync = 64
statfs_slow = 0
complain_secs = 10
max_readahead = 262144
quota_quantum = 60
quota_warn_period = 10
jindex_refresh_secs = 60
log_flush_secs = 60
incore_log_blocks = 1024
demote_secs = 600

[root sc2 ~]# gfs2_tool getargs /mnt/backup
data 2
suiddir 0
quota 0
posix_acl 1