[Linux-cluster] GFS2 locking issues

Dennis B. Hopp dhopp at coreps.com
Mon Jun 15 20:55:20 UTC 2009

Actually...I added both

<dlm plock_ownership="1" plock_rate_limit="0"/>
<gfs_controld plock_rate_limit="0"/>

to cluster.conf and rebooted every node.  Now running ping_pong gives
me roughly 3500 locks/sec when running it on more then one node
(running it on just one node gives me around 5000 locks/sec) which
according to the samba wiki are about in line with what it should be.

Thanks,

--Dennis

Quoting "Dennis B. Hopp" <dhopp at coreps.com>:

> That didn't work, but I changed it to:
>
>         <dlm plock_ownership="1" plock_rate_limit="0"/>
>
> And I'm getting different results, but still not good performance.
> Running ping_pong on one node
>
> [root at sc2 ~]# ./ping_ping /mnt/backup/test.dat 4
>     5870 locks/sec
>
> I think that should be much higher, but as soon as I start it on
> another node it drops to 97 locks/sec
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> --Dennis
>
> Quoting Abhijith Das <adas at redhat.com>:
>
>> Dennis,
>>
>> You seem to be running plock_rate_limit=100 that limits the number of
>> plocks/sec to 100 to avoid network flooding due to plocks.
>>
>> Setting this as <gfs_controld plock_rate_limit="0"/> in cluster.conf
>> should give you better plock performance.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Thanks!
>> --Abhi
>>
>> Dennis B. Hopp wrote:
>>> We have a three node nfs/samba cluster that we seem to be having very
>>> poor performance on GFS2.  We have a samba share that is acting as a
>>> disk to disk backup share for Backup Exec and during the backup
>>> process the load on the server will go through the roof until the
>>> network requests timeout and the backup job fails.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the ping_pong utility and ran it and seem to be getting
>>> terrible performance:
>>>
>>> [root at sc2 ~]# ./ping_ping /mnt/backup/test.dat 4
>>>       97 locks/sec
>>>
>>> The results are the same on all three nodes.
>>>
>>> I can't seem to figure out why this is so bad.  Some additional
>>> information:
>>>
>>> [root at sc2 ~]# gfs2_tool gettune /mnt/backup
>>> new_files_directio = 0
>>> new_files_jdata = 0
>>> quota_scale = 1.0000   (1, 1)
>>> logd_secs = 1
>>> recoverd_secs = 60
>>> statfs_quantum = 30
>>> stall_secs = 600
>>> quota_cache_secs = 300
>>> quota_simul_sync = 64
>>> statfs_slow = 0
>>> complain_secs = 10
>>> max_readahead = 262144
>>> quota_quantum = 60
>>> quota_warn_period = 10
>>> jindex_refresh_secs = 60
>>> log_flush_secs = 60
>>> incore_log_blocks = 1024
>>> demote_secs = 600
>>>
>>> [root at sc2 ~]# gfs2_tool getargs /mnt/backup
>>> data 2
>>> suiddir 0
>>> quota 0
>>> posix_acl 1