Re: [Linux-cluster] Freeze with cluster-2.03.11

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Steven Whitehouse wrote:

> > We'd need features added to recent 2.6 kernels (like read-only bindmount),
> > so the natural path was upgrading GFS1. However, as in the present state
> > our cluster is unstable, either we have to find the culprit or go back to
> > the proven version (and loosing the required new features).
>
> Read only bind mounts have not been tested with gfs1 and they might very
> well not work correctly, so be careful. Our general plan is to try and
> introduce new features into GFS2 and to maintain GFS with its existing
> feature set. Thats not to say that there will be no new features in GFS,
> but just that we are trying in general to put the new stuff in GFS2.

We do not need read-only bind mounts in GFS itself but in local
filesystems.

> Upgrading from GFS1 to GFS2 will always have to involve a shutdown in
> cluster operations since the differing journalling schemes rule out a
> node by node in place upgrade I'm afraid,

That's fully acceptable. I assume there's no problem in running GFS1 and
GFS2 volumes in parallel?

Best regards,
Jozsef
--
E-mail : kadlec mail kfki hu, kadlec blackhole kfki hu
PGP key: http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt