[Linux-cluster] help configuring HP ILO

Ian Hayes cthulhucalling at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:01:56 UTC 2009

For hostname you can put the FQDN or IP address...

I believe that you're a bit confused what iLO is capable of. IP3 and IP6 are
for the iLO, the cluster can't use them for networking. The cluster members
need to be able to reach the iLO (IP3 and 6 in this case) from eth0 or eth1.
In a 2-node cluster, this can be as simple as connecting eth0 or eth1 on one
node to the iLO of the other node via crossover cable. The iLO is its own
device that exists outside of the operating system.

Here's an example of a cluster that I've built previously that is similar to
your setup

Host1:
eth0 192.168.0.1 (host1)
eth1 10.1.1.1 (host1-management)
iLO 10.1.1.2

Host 2
eth0 192.168.0.2 (host2)
eth1: 10.1.1.3 (host2-management)
iLO 10.1.1.4

All cluster management communication in this cluster is via eth1. I
specified host1-management and host2-management as the hostnames in the
cluster config to partition off cluster traffic from the interfaces that are
actually doing the VIP work. The nodes provide a virtual IP on eth0, and a
script service, with the daemon bound to the VIP. For the iLOs and eth1, you
could either plug them into a switch on their own non-trunked VLAN, or you
can connect eth1 of host1 to the iLO of host 2, and eth1 of host2 to the iLO
of host1. Both eth1 and iLOs don't need a gateway since they're on the same
subnet.

To configure the iLO, you just set up the correct IP address, mask and
create a username and password that has the appropriate privileges (power).
These get put into the cluster.conf file via system-config-cluster or Luci.
You would need to create two fence resources. In the above case, I would
create a Fence_Host_1 and Fence_Host_2 dence devices, using fence_ilo.

Fence_Host_1 would have the IP address of host1's iLO, a valid login and
password for that iLO. Host2 is similar, but has the IP address of host2's
iLO. Attach Fence_Host_1 to host1 and Fence_Host_2 to host2. This way, the
entire cluster knows "to fence host1, I see that I need to use the
Fence_Host_1 method. Fence_host_1 uses fence_ilo as its method, target ip
address 10.1.1.2, username foo, password bar. To fence host2, it uses
fence_ilo as its method, target address 10.1.1.4, username foobar, password
barfoo". These get passed to the fence_ilo script and it handles the rest.
You can play with this my manually running fence_ilo.