[Linux-cluster] GFS Journal Size

Is there a good way to determine what size journals are needed on a gfs? Is there anyway to tell if a journal gets full? I have a vary large file system (20TB) shared by three hosts with 48GB RAM each. With the default journal size, applications would become unresponsive under heavy sequential writes. I increased the journal size to 1GB (from the default 128M) and this alleviated the problem.

Searching hasn't turned up any discussions on journal size.

Thanks,
-Andrew
--
Andrew A. Neuschwander, RHCE