[Linux-cluster] gfs2_tool settune demote_secs

Kaerka Phillips kbphillips80 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:46:48 UTC 2009

If in gfs2 glocks are purged based upon memory constraints, what happens if
it is run on a box with large amounts of memory? i.e. RHEL5.x with 128gb
ram?  We ended up having to move away from GFS2 due to serious performance
issues with this exact setup, and our performance issues were largely
centered around commands like ls or rm against gfs2 filesystems with large
directory structures and millions of files in them.

In our case, something as simple as copying a whole filesystem to another
filesystem would cause a load avg of 50 or more, and would take 8+ hours to
complete.  The same thing on NFS or ext3 would take usually 1 to 2 hours.
Netbackup of 10 of those filesystems took ~40 hours to complete, so we were
getting maybe 1 good backup per week, and in some cases the backup itself
caused cluster crash.

We are still using our GFS1 clusters, since as long as their network is
stable, their performance is very good, but we are phasing out most of our
GFS2 clusters to NFS instead.