Re: [Linux-cluster] Home-brew SAN/iSCSI

Madison Kelly wrote:

Until now, I've been building 2-node clusters using DRBD+LVM for the shared storage. I've been teaching myself clustering, so I don't have a world of capital to sink into hardware at the moment. I would like to start getting some experience with 3+ nodes using a central SAN disk.

So I've been pricing out the minimal hardware for a four-node cluster and have something to start with. My current hiccup though is the SAN side. I've searched around, but have not been able to get a clear answer.

Is it possible to build a host machine (CentOS/Debian) to have a simple MD device and make it available to the cluster nodes as an iSCSI/SAN device? Being a learning exercise, I am not too worried about speed or redundancy (beyond testing failure types and recovery).

Yeah, that's possible. Just use iscsid to export the device. If this is just for testing/learning purposes have you considered using virtual machines to minimise the hardware footprint? You could have a single host machine that acts as the SAN, exporting a device using iscsid and three vm's running on top of VMWare server on the same machine which make up the cluster...

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/