[Linux-cluster] Home-brew SAN/iSCSI

Mike Cardwell linux-cluster at lists.grepular.com
Sat Oct 10 19:07:02 UTC 2009

Madison Kelly wrote:

>   Until now, I've been building 2-node clusters using DRBD+LVM for the
> shared storage. I've been teaching myself clustering, so I don't have a
> world of capital to sink into hardware at the moment. I would like to
> start getting some experience with 3+ nodes using a central SAN disk.
>
>   So I've been pricing out the minimal hardware for a four-node cluster
> and have something to start with. My current hiccup though is the SAN
> side. I've searched around, but have not been able to get a clear answer.
>
>   Is it possible to build a host machine (CentOS/Debian) to have a
> simple MD device and make it available to the cluster nodes as an
> iSCSI/SAN device? Being a learning exercise, I am not too worried about
> speed or redundancy (beyond testing failure types and recovery).

Yeah, that's possible. Just use iscsid to export the device. If this is
just for testing/learning purposes have you considered using virtual
machines to minimise the hardware footprint? You could have a single
host machine that acts as the SAN, exporting a device using iscsid and
three vm's running on top of VMWare server on the same machine which
make up the cluster...

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/