Re: [Linux-cluster] Home-brew SAN/iSCSI

Madison Kelly wrote:
Hi all,

Until now, I've been building 2-node clusters using DRBD+LVM for the shared storage. I've been teaching myself clustering, so I don't have a world of capital to sink into hardware at the moment. I would like to start getting some experience with 3+ nodes using a central SAN disk.

So I've been pricing out the minimal hardware for a four-node cluster and have something to start with. My current hiccup though is the SAN side. I've searched around, but have not been able to get a clear answer.

Is it possible to build a host machine (CentOS/Debian) to have a simple MD device and make it available to the cluster nodes as an iSCSI/SAN device? Being a learning exercise, I am not too worried about speed or redundancy (beyond testing failure types and recovery).

Thanks for any insight, advice, pointers!

Madi

If you want to use a Linux host as a iscsi 'server' (a target in iscsi terminiology), you can use IET, the iSCSI Enterprise Target: http://iscsitarget.sourceforge.net/. I've used it and it works well, but it is a little CPU hungry. Obviously, you don't get the benefits of a hardware SAN, but you don't get the cost either.

-Andrew
--
Andrew A. Neuschwander, RHCE
Systems/Software Engineer