[Linux-cluster] Home-brew SAN/iSCSI

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Mon Oct 12 19:32:14 UTC 2009

Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 06:22 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>
>> Another option, at least with VMware, would be to create a shared disk
>> that can be seen by all your VM's.
>>
>> A bit simpler than setting up iSCSI, though that would be a good thing
>> to learn in it of itself...
>
> ... or to just do the same with KVM or Xen, which doesn't require
> spending money on VMWare and is part of RHEL...
>
> -- Lon

lol, thanks! I've actually switched away from VMWare to Xen as of last
year. I can see why VMWare was great before a few years ago, but these
days I find Xen to be better with the right hardware. Specifically, a
multi-core CPU that supports virtualization.

As for the other types of data stores, I've been using DRBD + LVM in
Primary/Primary mode already. It was tricky to get going in the first
place, but I got it going and now feel that iSCSI/SAN is the next step. :)

Madi