[Linux-cluster] hwo to build a virtual FC-san environment

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Oct 15 15:33:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:25:36PM +0800, Bai Shuwei wrote:
>    Pasi and Rafael:
>    Â Â Â  Thanks first.
>    Â Â Â  My purpose is to build a SAN environment which can support
>    multipath. I should use the linux environment. So I think the vmware can
>    meet my requirement.
>    Â Â Â  But I know little on multipath, from the redhat document, the HBA,
>    fabric switch are needed. So I want to use the normal source to
>    build/emulator the multpath environment.

Well, again about iSCSI.. you could set up iSCSI target (server) and
configure two (virtual) NICs to it, and give both NICs IP addresses from
different subnets. Then share some image file as LUN.

Then set up the vms (initiators) that will access the SAN, and configure
two (virtual) nics to those aswell, for storage access. Again configure
the NICs to be in different subnets.

Then log into the iSCSI target using both NICs and use multipath on top
of the the two LUNs.

-- Pasi