[Linux-cluster] RFC: Configuration of Red Hat clusters in Cluster 3

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Tue Oct 27 18:59:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:07:28AM +0000, Christine Caulfield wrote:
> What I think would be nice would be to update the configuration on a
> host node (dom0 in Xen parlance) and have the other nodes automatically
> pick it up from that one place.
>
> One suggested way of doing this is to host the cluster.conf file on an
> HTTP server on the host. The VMs can then simply GET that file and run
> it through xmlconfig to load it into corosync. This seems simple and
> easy to me. Most people know how to set up an http server (even if they
> don't know how to secure one!)
>
> The intention is to make this as easy as possible, so that the admin
> staff simply supply a URL and corosync does the right thing to fetch it
> when needed (at boot up and re-configure time). This magic is brought to
> you courtesy of pluggable configuration modules in corosync :)
>
> Comments? Better ideas? Or am I just barking ?

I think it's great, and I think it should be extended to allow for a
single http server on say a central management server, then there's no
distribution issues (this was the original intention with ccsd eons ago,
but no one else liked the central config server so it was abandoned,
leaving shared devices and local files.  Shared devices were abandoned
next and then the came the big wrong turn of trying to sync the local
files.)

Dave