[Linux-cluster] A home-grown cluster

Kaloyan Kovachev kkovachev at varna.net
Thu Oct 29 08:57:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:44:53 -0400, Madison Kelly wrote
> Branimir wrote:
> > Hi list ;)
> >
> > Well, here is my problem. I configured a few productions clusters myself
> > - mostly HP Proliant machines with ILO/ILO2. Now, I would like to do the
> > same thing but with ordinary PC hardware (the fact is my wife wants me
> > to reduce the number of my physical machines ;)). I have three more/less
> > same PCs, all running CentOS 5.4 with Xen hypervisor. One of them would
> > be a storage with tgt to handle iSCSI targets.
> >
> > To be honest, and what bothers me the most is that I don't have a clue
> > what to use as a fence device? I took ILO for granted, but for me this
> > is completly new. Can you offer some advice?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Branimir
>
> You know, I've been wondering the same thing now for a little while and
> had figured it just wasn't possible. I had seen a design a couple of
> years ago for a serial to reset switch home-brew fence device but I've
> not been able to find it since. The biggest thing about it was that the
> author mentioned that, on POST, the serial port would run high and
> trigger a reset so s/he designed a catch (a cap?) that would put a small
> enough delay to prevent this POST->fence issue. Personally, I've been
> thinking of a way to make an inexpensive USB -> reset switch, maybe even
> an addressable one so that I could have a hub of sorts for a 3+ nodes
> cluster.
>
> Back to your question; I don't know of a canned solution, but would be
> quite interested if you found one. If you find an answer off list, do
> please update this thread!

Well it is not great solution, but a really cheep one:
 http://lan.neomontana-bg.com/picoip.php - this device have 16 Out ports on
which you can attach up to 4 boards with 4 relays
http://lan.neomontana-bg.com/RelayBoard.php
 The device have also 8 In ports, web interface and may be controlled with
snmp for which a fence module can be easily made

translated versions from google:
 http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Flan.neomontana-bg.com%2Fpicoip.php&sl=bg&tl=en&history_state0=

 http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Flan.neomontana-bg.com%2FRelayBoard.php&sl=bg&tl=en&history_state0=