[Linux-cluster] GFS without CS?

Edgar Matzinger edgar at edgar-matzinger.nl
Tue Sep 22 13:28:36 UTC 2009

Hi Marc,

On 09/22/09 13:23:47, Marc - A. Dahlhaus wrote:
> Hello Edgar,
>

> CS is needed because it contains the service (cman) that configures
> the
> participation of nodes in your cluster and also enables your nodes to
> communicate about changes they want to do an the shared filesystem.

Then GFS is not a cluster filesystem. It is just a filesystem.
It was my perception that GFS was a stand alone application.
Why? Because GFS supports up to 300 nodes (found in Oracle 9i RAC and
the Red Hat Global File System). And CS "only" 32
(http://www.redhat.com/cluster_suite/). Thinking about it: maybe
300 nodes mean something different. Oracle RAC does the replication
and not GFS....

> Also it contains the method to remove failing nodes from
> participating
> in your cluster. This all is mandatory for a cluster filesystem.

No, it's mandatory for a cluster. GFS itself should embed the changes
to files, directories, etc. in it's protocol used between the nodes.

> Please go ahead and read the available documentation if you have
> further
> interests in it here: http://sourceware.org/cluster

OK, will take a look, cu l8r, Edgar.
--