Re: [Linux-cluster] GFS2 vs EXT3+HA-LVM

clvmd is still used, basically it just makes sure the lvm changes are propagated to all nodes. The change is in the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf where locking_type=1 instead of 3 as is for GFS1/2. If I go this route, there will be no use of GFS at all on this cluster. locking_type=1 along with the volume_list config options are used to ensure that no two nodes have the same VG mounted.

Of course this method is new to me so my understanding of how lvm2 works with locking_type set to one works in conjunction with clvmd running could be incorrect.

As always, comments are appreciated.

Corey

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Jakov Sosic <jakov sosic srce hr> wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:54:18 +0100
Corey Kovacs <corey kovacs gmail com> wrote:

> However, I've come to the realization that at this time it's simply
> not reasonable to expect the same performance from GFS2 as my current
> setup. I have even been told from RedHat support that our use case
> (general purpose file server with applications and home dirs along
> with some data thrown in isn't really a good fit for using GFS2. Not
> sure I agree with that or even understand the motivation behind the
> comment but I am passed that now. The simple truth is for our
> purposes, I think he may be right and I am now exploring the idea of
> using ha-lvm with ext3. I'd not set ip up before this past week and I
> have to say it looks promising. Rsyncs, directories with lots of
> files etc. all behave as I expect them to, fast.

Why are you using HA-LVM instead of CLVM? Is there any particular
reason?

PS.: We too dumped GFS/GFS2 everywhere where we don't need the
simultaneous access from more than one node at a time, also because of
the performance.

--
|    Jakov Sosic    |    ICQ: 28410271    |   PGP: 0x965CAE2D   |
| start fighting cancer -> http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/   |