[Linux-cluster] GFS Volume Over NFS

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:40:08 UTC 2009

Greetings,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM, brem belguebli
<brem.belguebli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The last sentence seems to mean that Gigi wants to create a GFS on top
> of a NFS FS.
>
> This GFS will be then exported thru NFS .

whaa??

If I have understood correctly,
GFS is a "cooked" filesystem (like ext3/jfs/xfs etc.) which expects a
raw device underneath such as HDD partition / LUN either from
SAN/iSCSI device.
NFS is fileshareing protocol which requires a "cooked" file system
underneath such as ext3/gfs/jfs/xfs etc..

So the question of "GFS over NFS" is ab initio absurdum (pardon my french here)

Regards

Rajagopal