[Linux-cluster] GFS2 directory hangs on one node CentOS 5.3

Libor Tomsik ltomsik at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:56:24 UTC 2009

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 12:13 +0200, Libor Tomsik wrote:
>> Hi,
>> >Hi,

>> >That sounds to me like there is a lot of activity from both nodes
>> >relating to the same directory. Can you split the logs of the two nodes
>> >into two different directories? That will probably solve the problem.
>> >
>> Actually there is just one apache writing on one server. Well in many
>> threads. Maybe this is the problem? I have about 40 sites hosted
>> there. So 2x40 separate log files.
>> The second node is just periodically reading this directory.
>>
>That can still cause a problem. The second node will require a shared
>lock on the directory, so if there is any file creation going on, it
>will be dramatically slowed down by that. Is it possible to stop the
>second node's I/O to check that?

Yes it is possible to generate statistic at the apache node, not the
second one, if it might help. But where is then the advantage of
clustered fs accessible from all nodes?

>There shouldn't really be a bit issue with lots of threads provided they
>are all on the same node as is the case here,
>
>Steve.
>

>> >This kind of problem is tricky to debug since the glock dumps will tell
>> >you what state the glocks are currently in, and not what has been
>> >happening the in past.

Is somehow possible to free this locks by force? I mean kill dead
processes and remount fs on affected node? Some recovery solution?