[Linux-cluster] Guidelines on Upgrades

Looking for guidelines on when RHCS components can be upgraded in a rolling fashion and when it is best to simply take a full cluster downtime.  I am looking at 2-6 node clusters with each node providing a unique set of functions along with common functions.  Each node has a dedicated failover node(s).

A couple of examples:
Minor OS upgrades, e.g. RHEL 5.3 to RHEL 5.5
Major OS upgrades, e.g. RHEL 5.x to RHEL 6.x
Errata for key cluster component, e.g. openais, cman, etc, without kernel updates

I suspect that minor OS upgrades and errata would survive a rolling upgrade, allowing for the RHCS to run in a mixed mode for a short period of time.  The major OS upgrades, since RH can introduce non-passive changes, may require some ingenuity on dividing the cluster up and experiencing a small downtime to flip from one subset to another.

I have read the RH documentation on the RHEL 4 to RHEL 5 upgrades which indicate a full cluster downtime is needed to convert GLUM to CMAN configuration.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I could not locate any clear cut rules or direction from the community.

Thanks
Robert