Re: [Linux-cluster] Difference between -d and -s options of clusvcadm

If you "disable" a service it won't start up again without manual intervention, like with "clusvcadm -e...".  If you "stop" a service and let's say the node it was running on was rebooted, your service will start up on another node in the cluster if it was configured to do so.

Greg Charles
gcharles ups com

From: linux-cluster-bounces redhat com [mailto:linux-cluster-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Jankowski, Chris
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:24 PM
To: linux clustering
Subject: [Linux-cluster] Difference between -d and -s options of clusvcadm

Hi,

What is the difference between –d and –s options of clusvcadm?  When would I prefer using one over the other?

The manual page for clusvcadm(8) says:

-d <service>       Stops and disables the user service named <service>
-s  <service>        Stops the service named <service> until a member transition or until it is enabled again.

I also read the manual page for rgmanager(8), but the usefulness of the distinction between stopped and disabled states escapes me.

Thanks and regards,

Chris