Re: [Linux-cluster] GFS on AOE

> -----Original Message-----
> From: linux-cluster-bounces redhat com
[mailto:linux-cluster-bounces redhat com]
> On Behalf Of Fabio M. Di Nitto
> Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:42 AM
> To: linux-cluster redhat com
> Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] GFS on AOE
>
> The problem being that AOE (as you suspect) adds a different level of
caching.

Note however that the AoE protocol does not specify caching, except for
optional asynchronous writes.  (The aoe Linux module does not utilize
asynchronous writes.)

Nevertheless, the configuration suggested by the OP is unusual, and
won't be very useful in my opinion.  Having node B rely on a hard disk
in node A leaves node A as a single point of failure.

We use GFS over AoE extensively, and find it works well.  However we use
an AoE target that runs independent of the cluster and provides
high-availability on its own.

-Jeff