[Linux-cluster] suggestion require about fence_vmware

jayesh.shinde jayesh.shinde at netcore.co.in
Wed Dec 29 05:17:04 UTC 2010

Hi all ,

I am testing RHCS "Active - Passive " on RHEL 5.5 64 bit OS along with
VMWARE ESX 4.0 for *mailing* application . I want suggestion and
guidance that , what should be the best architecture and best practice
for the below mention setup.

My architecture details are as follows  :--
------------------------------------
1) I have one VM called "node1"  under one physical VMWARE server.
2) second VM  called "node2" under second  physical VMWARE server.
3) Both the physical servers are connected to each other with switch
along with NIC teaming  and fail over switch is also available.
4) For fencing I am using fencedevice agent as "*fence_vmware*"
5) one SAN partition with LVM configure.  User's mailbox data is inside
this SAN partition.
6) File system is "EXT3"

My queries :---
=========
1) Is above architecture's  points from  1-6 are correct for
Active-passive configuration with VMWARE. ?
2) While testing I observer that when I purposely stop the network
service on active "node1" then "node2" fence the "node1" properly.
      But  "node1" getting fence    by "*poweroff*" .
    Since all service was running on "node1" and SAN partition was also
mounted and suddenly "node1" get fence.

*So will this immediate poweroff cause the corruption of SAN ext3 file
system and local HDD too* ?

3) If yes how to avoid this ?
4) Is it a correct way of fencing ?
5) Is this correct setup  for  production environment ?

I purposely stop network service on "node1"  because I want to test and
know that , what will happen when network goes down on "node1" .
I also observe that the files which was open in VIM editor also got
recover properly because of the Journaling feature of EXT3 FS.

Happy christmas.

Thanks & Regards
Jayesh Shinde