Re: [Linux-cluster] heartbeat

I don’t  have any nics that I can dedicate for a cross over cable for heartbeat so I was thinking I could use the serial or the network itself. Is it possible to just use the primary interface for heartbeat since it is my understanding it is nothing more than a ping.

You don't need to dedicate a NIC for heartbeat with Red Hat Cluster.  Unlike Linux-HA, RHCS makes use of multicast to communicate with other nodes.  The multicast IP address is assigned by RHCS automatically, so you don't need to do any special configuration.

Please have a look at this: http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Cluster_Administration/s1-multicast-considerations-CA.html

For setup instructions, check this: http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Cluster_Administration/s1-general-prop-conga-CA.html - Section 3 deals with Multicast address settings