[Linux-cluster] heartbeat

Ed Sanborn Ed.Sanborn at genband.com
Mon Feb 1 19:37:45 UTC 2010

I am intrigued by this thread.  I am using RH Advanced Platform version
5.2.  I have an 8-node cluster

running on an IBM Bladecenter.  For those that may not be familiar with
the IBM Bladecenter the blades have 2 NICs

on them and the Bladecenter chassis has a Nortel switch that the NIC's
connect to.  I am using both NIC's plugged

into two segments of my LAN.  One of them is being used for the
multicast heartbeat traffic.  It works BUT occasionally

my network has serious disruptions due to this being a
telecommunications company and the engineers are

always doing something to loop the network and/or saturate the network
with broadcasts taking down the

subnet that my heartbeat traffic is on.  Sometimes when this happens the
network is so bad

that the multicast traffic is affected and I lose quorum on the cluster.
Once I fix the network problem I need

to restart each node to get the cluster back up and running.  Not good
and not the correct design.

I would love to NOT use a public NIC for the multicast/heartbeat
traffic.  I tried to setup virtual interfaces and

VLAN those in the Nortel switch and moving the multicast/heartbeat
traffic over to them, leaving the 2 NICS on the original LAN segments
they were on but even with IBM assistance we were unsuccessful.  Does
anyone have any experience

with this?  I want to do this to truly isolate the heartbeat network to
eliminate any possibility for network congestion

taking down the cluster and also because I do not want the multicast
traffic pumped all over the LAN.

Thanks,

Ed

(978) 210-9855