Re: [Linux-cluster] [clvm] Volume group for uuid not found

On 2/02/2010, at 11:31 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> Abraham Alawi wrote:
>>> You could, indeed, use DRBD. Or you could cross-export the block devices with iSCSI (or ATAoE) and have them connected to all the nodes that way. I guess it depends on whether you prefer to use DRBD or CLVM. My preference is for DRBD, but don't let that bias your decision. :)
>>> Gordan
>> I reckon GNBD will be a better solution in your case, DRBD is more
>> suitable for non-cluster file systems (e.g. ext3, xfs .. ) in case
>> of active-passive
> DRBD is specifically designed to also work in active-active mode. I've been running shared root GFS clusters on DRBD for years. DRBD is singularly _THE_ best solution for network RAID1, _especially_ in active-active mode with a clustered file system on top. It also handles resyncing after outages much more gracefully and transparently than other similar solutions.
> Gordan

Yes, it does work in active-active but DRBD people themselves don't recommend running it in production active-active under cluster file system, I quote from their website:
"DRBD's primary-primary mode with a shared disk file system (GFS, OCFS2). These systems are very sensitive to failures of the replication network. Currently we cannot generally recommend this for production use."

In terms of production solution I reckon GNBD is designed more specifically for that purpose. I'm glad to know that DRBD is running well for you under GFS, honestly I have never tried this setup, it's worthwhile trying though.

  -- Abraham

Abraham Alawi

Unix/Linux Systems Administrator
Science IT