[Linux-cluster] clvmd init script

Dirk H. Schulz dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Tue Feb 2 07:38:55 UTC 2010

I am running a 2 node cluster on CentOS 5.4.

Until yesterday I had always started the cluster services manually
(service cman start, service clvmd start ...) and already noticed that
service clvmd start never finishes - so I used "service clvmd start &"
to get a working shell back.

Yesterday I tried autostarting the cluster services (just cman, clvmd,
gfs; no rgmanager yet) with system boot up, and now clvmd is stuck the
same. I did not look into the order of init scripts before; since clvmd
is started long before sshd, I now cannot log in, neither remote nor local.
I had started up both nodes for this test, the other one without
autostarting the services, so I can log into this and check for cluster
sanity.

group_tool ls looks like this:
> [root at pclus1cent5-01 ~]# group_tool ls
> type             level name        id       state
> fence            0     default     00010002 none
> [1 2]
> dlm              1     clvmd       00020002 none
> [1 2]
> dlm              1     XenImages   00020001 none
> [1]
> dlm              1     XenConfigs  00040001 none
> [1]
> dlm              1     rgmanager   00050001 none
> [1]
> gfs              2     XenImages   00010001 none
> [1]
> gfs              2     XenConfigs  00030001 none
> [1]
XenConfigs and XenImages are GFS volumes - looks like they are mounted
on both nodes, but clvmd only runs on one (which is weird since the GFS
volumes are set up on clustered LVs). Or do I misinterpret the output?

Now the question is:
Can I determine from the working node what the problem on the stuck node
is? Can I force clvmd to finish or give up?

And do I have to do/can I do something to the clvmd init script to make
it work as expected?

Dirk