[Linux-cluster] GFS and performace

Paras pradhan pradhanparas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 23:47:08 UTC 2010

I have a GFS based shared storage cluster that connects to SAN by fibre
channel. This GFS shared storage hold several virtual machines. While
running hdparam from the host to a GFS share, I get following results.

--
hdparm -t /guest_vms1

/dev/mapper/test_vg1-prd_vg1_lv:
Timing buffered disk reads:  262 MB in  3.00 seconds =  87.24 MB/sec
---

Now from within the virtual machines, the I/O is low

---
hdparm -t /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   88 MB in  3.00 seconds =  29.31 MB/sec
---

I am looking for possibilities if I can increase my I/O read write within my
virtual machines. Tuning GFS does help in this case?

Sorry if my question is not relevant to this list

Thanks
Paras.