[Linux-cluster] suggestion on freeze-on-node1 and unfreeze-on-node2 approach?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 14:06:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 13:03 +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:

> But sometimes we have to do maintenance on DB and use the strategy to
> freeze the service, manually stop DB, make modifications, manually
> start DB and unfreeze the service.

You could set 'recovery="relocate"', freeze the service, stop the
database cleanly, then unfreeze the service.

When rgmanager does a status check on the service, it will fail, issue a
stop (which will be a no-op for the database), then start it on the
other node.

It's kind of ... odd to do it that way, but it should work.

Alternatively, you could make oracledb.sh use clean shutdown of the
database, wait some period of time, then do a hard-shutdown.

In a failover case where the node fails, the recovery time will be no
different.

-- Lon