[Linux-cluster] Apache/Cluster issue -- Single public IP address

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 17:18:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 21:12 +0530, avi at myphonebook.co.in wrote:
> My problem is that I only have a single public IP address, to serve my web server and my question is this:
>
> Is this the end of the road, for installing apache as a service with ONE public IP address??

In order to manage the 'only possible' ip address on an interface or set
of interfaces, the ip.sh script would have to handle a whole lot more
than it was designed:

- device activation
- module loading
- routing configuration

This would it very complex.  Right now, it is very simple: use existing
routes and devices.

Possible solutions:

* Edit the ip.sh script to do what you want directly.

* Use a custom script to start apache & bring up your IP address rather
than using ip.sh to do it.

* Statically assign a couple of IP addresses and mask them using noarp
option or arptables.

-- Lon