[Linux-cluster] Snapshotting GFS and freezing

Hi folks,

I found several howtos on the web stating that if you want to snapshot a gfs volume (on top of clvm, of course), you have to freeze gfs (using gfs_tool) to make that possible.

What comes in mind then is: If I have to freeze the gfs volume anyway, do I need a snapshot at all? Can't I copy the contents off the frozen gfs volume directly? Because the basic purpose of a snapshot is to provide files that do not change during beeing copied. And I would expect a frozen gfs volume to provide exactly that.

Please help in clarification.

Dirk