Re: [Linux-cluster] Snapshotting GFS and freezing

Ray Van Dolson schrieb:
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 06:14:02AM -0800, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
That means calling
        sync
        echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
inside the VM, right? Or is there anything more to do to flush everything?

Dirk

I would think the best way would be to actually pause the VM.  If you
snapshot a VM while it's running, even with the above, how can you
guarantee an application won't do something on the VM right as the
snapshot occurs?

That is an important point, I am already pondering about it. Of course pausing the vm is the better option - if you can afford it.

I am working systematically on an environment where the possibility of very high level availability vms is part of the design (e.g. 99,99 %). At the moment the only approach I can see is doing snapshots of a running vm and making those as reliable as possible.

Dirk