[Linux-cluster] heartbeat

I have a two node cluster and I want to setup the heartbeat monitor over the network. Does anyone have an example of what I need to add to the cluster.conf file to make this happen?

I don’t  have any nics that I can dedicate for a cross over cable for heartbeat so I was thinking I could use the serial or the network itself. Is it possible to just use the primary interface for heartbeat since it is my understanding it is nothing more than a ping.