[Linux-cluster] Two node cluster with iLO fencing.

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 13:30:38 UTC 2010

On 06/07/10 14:12, Peter McGowan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking to put together a two-node cluster that will use HP iLOs for
> fencing. The systems have their bond0 interfaces connected to the public
> LAN, and I was intending to use a private non-routable network (bond1)
> purely for cluster communication traffic.
>
> What's confused me is the line in the CMAN FAQ which says "If you are
> using per-node power management of any sort where the device is not
> shared between cluster nodes, it must be connected to the same network
> used by CMAN for cluster communication"
>
> Is anyone able to define "same network" in this context? My iLOs will be
> reachable through bond0 (public LAN), but not through bond1 (cluster
> network) - does this count as "same network"?

No it doesn't. "Same network" means the same (set of) interfaces that
the cluster traffic goes over.

The reason for this is so that in the event of a network outage, only
one node has access to the fence device and can fence the other. If the
fence device is on a different network (as yours is) then both nodes
will be able to fence each other in the event that the cluster
communications network breaks. When this happens both nodes will be
rebooted, rather than just one.

Chrissie