[Linux-cluster] RedHat RHEL 5U4 NFS Cluster nodes randomly reboot

Bennie Thomas Bennie_R_Thomas at raytheon.com
Wed Jul 14 15:49:59 UTC 2010

The device names turned out to not be a problem.. I did configure my
systems to use "label" vice device.
I have turned on debug to try and isolate the problem.  I am waiting for
the node to reboot again.

I am not seeing any cman messages prior to node being fenced. This is
the puzzling thing. As there are
no indications of the node having trouble..

Thanks

Volker Dormeyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 05:39:30PM -0500,
> Bennie Thomas <Bennie_R_Thomas at raytheon.com> wrote:
>
>> I think I may have found my problem. However, I am not sure how to fix it.
>>
>> I noticed that node one shows the quorum disk to be /dev/dm-2 and
>> node 2 shows the quorum disk to be /dev/dm-3
>>

> How do you configured the cluster to use the Quorum? By Label or by Device?
> If you used the device settings and specified a dm-device in cluster.conf,
> this would be your problem.
>
> If you used the Quorum-label, it shouldn't. The underlying dm-device-name
> doesn't matter as long as you do not specify it explicitly. The devices will
> be mapped to the appropriate dm-device, if you use /dev/mapper/... devices.
> Hence, I don't beleive this to be your problem.
>
> Do you have cman killed messages in the log of the remaining node before it is
> being fenced? May be you can post the appropriate part of the log and the
> config.
>
> It might be helpful to run a debug-log for qdiskd - just to see whether your
> qdisk is the root cause. Could you add the options log_level="7" and
> log_facility="local3" to your qdisk configuration part? You need to setup
> an appropriate entry in /etc/syslog.conf then, as well. Qdiskd logs some debug
> messages, if it is not able to access the qdisk, etc.
>

>> How can I change these ?
>>

> However, I think your Quorum Device is located on a logical volume. Hence, it
> makes sense to force LVM to use descriptive device names by setting the device
> filter. I. e.:
>
> preferred_names = [ "^/dev/mapper/mpath", "^/dev/[hs]d" ]
> filter = [ "a|/dev/mapper/mpath.*|", "a|/dev/cciss/.*|", "r|.*|" ]
>
> Afterwards, perfrom "pvscan" and LVM should be using the descriptive names.
> "pvs" should now list "/dev/mapper/mpath*" devices. Of course, you have to
> change the settings if you do not use multipathing. You local storage
> controller should be listed in the filter, as well...
>
> The filter will not solve your problem, but makes the configuration more
> transparent.
>
> If your quorum device is located on a self-made dm-device instead, just create
> it with a unique name.
>
> Regards,
> Volker

Bennie Thomas
Sr. Information Systems Technologist II
Raytheon Company

972.205.4126
972.205.6363 fax
888.347.1660 pager
Bennie_R_Thomas at raytheon.com

DISCLAIMER: This message contains information that may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive mail for the addressee), you should not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please so advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Raytheon unless specifically stated.
Electronic communications including email may be monitored by Raytheon
for operational or business reasons.