Re: [Linux-cluster] Postgres-cluster with shared storage.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Arun Kp <arunkp1987 gmail com> wrote:
When the cluster try to relocate (Stopping in the Active node and starting in the Passive node) the Postgresql service  works fine if there is no client connection .But when one client is connected it will take 5 minutes for relocating.Here we have given 5 minutes as shutdown wait time in cluster.Some times relocating getting failed due to stopping of postgresql server taking too much time
We have given the following options for postgresql in the cluster

Name :DB-igvtdc
Configdir:/Storage   where our data directory resides(In SAN).
Postmaster options : -p 5433 -h 172.31.1.20 -m
shutdown wait time :300 s

In your init script (/etc/init.d/postgresql or similar) check what is the actual command that is used to shut down the database. My guess is that it's something like

pg_ctl -D /path/to/database stop

Then just add switch "-m immediate" so that the database is not waiting for all clients to disconnect before shutting done. More information on pg_ctl syntax: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/app-pg-ctl.html

Regards

Mikko