[Linux-cluster] Clearing a glock

Scooter Morris scooter at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Jul 27 12:57:06 UTC 2010

  On 7/27/10 5:15 AM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you translate a5b67f into decimal, then that is the inode number of
> the inode which is causing a problem. It looks to me as if you have too
> many processes trying to access this one inode from multiple nodes.
>
> Its not obvious from the traces that anything is actually stuck, but if
> you take two traces, a few seconds or minutes apart, then it should
> become more obvious whether the cluster is making progress or whether it
> really is stuck,
>
> Steve.

Hi Steve,
     As always, thanks for the reply.  The cluster was, indeed, truly
stuck.  I rebooted it last night to clear everything out.  I never did
figure out which file was the problem.  I did a find -inum, but the find
hung too.  By that point the load average was up to 80 and climbing.
Any ideas on how to avoid this?  Are there tunable values I need to
increase to allow more processes to access any individual inode?

Thanks!

-- scooter