[Linux-cluster] permanently removing node from running cluster

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Mon Jun 21 09:31:46 UTC 2010

On 21/06/10 10:14, Martin Waite wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to permanently remove a node from a running cluster ?
>
> All my attempts result in the node being in the state "offline,
> estranged", and the node still counting as a member in the "Nodes: "
> count from cman_tool status ( but not in the "Expected votes:" count -
> so I think the quorum size is correct).
>
> It appears that the only way to permanently remove references to a node
> is to restart cman on the surviving nodes.
>
> My procedure for removing the node is:
>
> 1. relocate any services running on the node
>
> 2. edit cluster.conf to remove the node from clusternodes
>
> 3. push the config to the cluster with ccs_tool
>
> 4. stop rgmanager on the node to be removed
>
> 5. stop cman on the node to be removed.
>
> At this point, clustat on a surviving node shows:
>
> Cluster Status for EDISV1DBM @ Mon Jun 21 09:46:45 2010
>
> Member Status: Quorate
>
> Member Name ID Status
>
> ------ ---- ---- ------
>
> svXprdclu002 2 Online, Local, rgmanager
>
> svXprdclu003 3 Online, rgmanager
>
> svXprdclu004 4 Online, rgmanager
>
> svXprdclu005 5 Online, rgmanager
>
> svXprdclu001 1 Offline, Estranged
>
> Service Name Owner (Last) State
>
> ------- ---- ----- ------ -----
>
> service:ACTIVESITE svXprdclu002 started
>
> service:MASTERVIP svXprdclu002 started
>
> The removed node (svXprdclu001) is still known to the cluster, but is
> now "estranged".
>
> The node has been removed from the "Expected votes" count, but not the
> "Nodes" count:
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/cman_tool status
>
> Version: 6.2.0
>
> Config Version: 19
>
> Cluster Name: EDISV1DBM
>
> Cluster Id: 35945
>
> Cluster Member: Yes
>
> Cluster Generation: 1008
>
> Membership state: Cluster-Member
>
> Nodes: 5
>
> Expected votes: 4
>
> Total votes: 4
>
> Quorum: 3
>
> Active subsystems: 8
>
> Flags: Dirty
>
> Ports Bound: 0 177
>
> Node name: svXprdclu004
>
> Node ID: 4
>
> Multicast addresses: 239.192.0.1
>
> Node addresses: 10.3.18.24
>
> If I then choose a node (not running the services) and restart cman,
> this node no longer _/sees/_ the removed node:
>
> [martin at cp1edidbm003 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/clustat
>
> Cluster Status for EDISV1DBM @ Mon Jun 21 09:53:34 2010
>
> Member Status: Quorate
>
> Member Name ID Status
>
> ------ ---- ---- ------
>
> svXprdclu002 2 Online
>
> svXprdclu003 3 Online, Local
>
> svXprdclu004 4 Online
>
> svXprdclu005 5 Online
>
> [martin at cp1edidbm003 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/cman_tool status
>
> Version: 6.2.0
>
> Config Version: 19
>
> Cluster Name: EDISV1DBM
>
> Cluster Id: 35945
>
> Cluster Member: Yes

> [...]

You don't say what version of clustering you are using. In cluster3
nodes can be removed permanently from the internal cluster lists by
removing it from cluster.conf and reloading it. In versions Before that
they hang around until the whole cluster is rebooted.

It's just a name in a list and the inconvenience should be purely
cosmetic. A node that is not in the cluster has no effect on any cluster
operations.

Chrissie