[Linux-cluster] Higher Grained Definition ofIP AddressAssignments

Dustin Henry Offutt dhoffutt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 14:00:54 UTC 2010

Using the node's IPs would not work. The software being made HA must keep
its IPs the same no matter what node its running on. Could script an IP
change, but then we're putting IP logic and monitoring in two places: The
cluster software and in our custom scripting. That's not a clean solution
and is rather going backwards.

We may as well just do our own HA if we were starting down that road. When
we sell our product the customer must also purchase Redhat Support for their
OS and cluster software. I would think Redhat should pony up to get this
done as the product we are selling is selling well and inducing Redhat
Support sales.

An official feature request has been submitted to Redhat.

Also, I'm working on the /usr/share/cluster/ip.sh script myself to add the
feature. Hopefully it works out.