[Linux-cluster] permanently removing node from running cluster

Martin Waite Martin.Waite at datacash.com
Mon Jun 21 09:14:17 UTC 2010

Hi,

Is it possible to permanently remove a node from a running cluster ?

All my attempts result in the node being in the state "offline,
estranged", and the node still counting as a member in the "Nodes: "
count from cman_tool status ( but not in the "Expected votes:" count -
so I think the quorum size is correct).

It appears that the only way to permanently remove references to a node
is to restart cman on the surviving nodes.

My procedure for removing the node is:

1.    relocate any services running on the node

2.    edit cluster.conf to remove the node from clusternodes

3.    push the config to the cluster with ccs_tool

4.    stop rgmanager on the node to be removed

5.    stop cman on the node to be removed.

At this point, clustat on a surviving node shows:

Cluster Status for EDISV1DBM @ Mon Jun 21 09:46:45 2010

Member Status: Quorate

 Member Name                                           ID   Status

 ------ ----                                           ---- ------

 svXprdclu002                                              2 Online,
Local, rgmanager

 svXprdclu003                                              3 Online,
rgmanager

 svXprdclu004                                              4 Online,
rgmanager

 svXprdclu005                                              5 Online,
rgmanager

 svXprdclu001                                              1 Offline,
Estranged

 Service Name                                 Owner (Last)
State

 ------- ----                                 ----- ------
-----

 service:ACTIVESITE                           svXprdclu002
started

 service:MASTERVIP                            svXprdclu002
started

The removed node (svXprdclu001) is still known to the cluster, but is
now "estranged".

The node has been removed from the "Expected votes" count, but not the
"Nodes" count:

sudo /usr/sbin/cman_tool status

Version: 6.2.0

Config Version: 19

Cluster Name: EDISV1DBM

Cluster Id: 35945

Cluster Member: Yes

Cluster Generation: 1008

Membership state: Cluster-Member

Nodes: 5

Expected votes: 4

Total votes: 4

Quorum: 3

Active subsystems: 8

Flags: Dirty

Ports Bound: 0 177

Node name: svXprdclu004

Node ID: 4

Multicast addresses: 239.192.0.1

Node addresses: 10.3.18.24

If I then choose a node (not running the services) and restart cman,
this node no longer _sees_ the removed node:

[martin at cp1edidbm003 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/clustat

Cluster Status for EDISV1DBM @ Mon Jun 21 09:53:34 2010

Member Status: Quorate

 Member Name                                           ID   Status

 ------ ----                                           ---- ------

 svXprdclu002                                              2 Online

 svXprdclu003                                              3 Online,
Local

 svXprdclu004                                              4 Online

 svXprdclu005                                              5 Online

[martin at cp1edidbm003 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/cman_tool status

Version: 6.2.0

Config Version: 19

Cluster Name: EDISV1DBM

Cluster Id: 35945

Cluster Member: Yes

Cluster Generation: 1008

Membership state: Cluster-Member

Nodes: 4

Expected votes: 4

Total votes: 4

Quorum: 3

Active subsystems: 7

Flags: Dirty

Ports Bound: 0

Node name: svXprdclu003

Node ID: 3

Multicast addresses: 239.192.0.1

Node addresses: 10.3.18.23

However, I would prefer not to relocate my services in order to restart
cman on every node.