[Linux-cluster] is it possible an active-active NFS server?

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 12:28:41 UTC 2010

2010/6/28 Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net>

> On 06/28/2010 12:26 PM, ESGLinux wrote:
>

>> 2010/6/28 Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net <mailto:gordan at bobich.net>>
>>

>>    On 06/28/2010 11:11 AM, ESGLinux wrote:
>>
>>        Hi All,
>>
>>        I´m going to mount an active-active file server and my first
>>        idea is to
>>        mount a NFS service with luci but now I have the doubt if is it
>>          possible. with luci i have allways mounted Active-Passive
>>        services. So,
>>        my question is that.
>>
>>        Any other aproach to get an Active-Active file Server?
>>

>>    Not with NFS, since NFS has no feature to have multiple
>>    servers/share. But there is no reason you can't connect half of the
>>    clients to the other server.
>>

>> I haven't realized about it, it could be a solution.
>>
>> one thing, I have been investigating about it, and  I have thought it
>> could be possible using Linux Virtual Server (administered with
>> piranha), what do you think about it?
>>

> I think you need to start to list your requirements in a coherent manner
> first, in terms of performance, features, and redundancy. The solution you
> should be looking for will be more obvious then.

Hi again,

you are right this is a bit confusing (my customer said me: I need a cluster
file server, its your problem... :-/ ). Now I´m investigating how to do it.

what basically I need is:

I need to access the files in HA and it must be scalable. If the load is a
problem I could be able to add another node to solve the load problem, (so I
thought in a Active-active, because with Active-Pasive only there is one
node active so the load problem is still there)

>     If you need client-side multi-homing, GlusterFS can do that.
>>

>> in this project I only can use red hat certified solutions. I suposse
>> GlusterFS isn't,
>>

> Hmm, personally I find that sticking with only what ships with the distro
> to be too limiting as soon as you need to cover a use-case that isn't very
> basic and boring. But if you are looking for a "supported" solution, Gluster
> Inc. do have support contracts available.

I'll try it in my systems to test it, but I think I can´t use it, :-(

> But without more information on your use-case and expected access patterns,
> it is impossible to suggest a solution in a particularly meaningful way.
>
> Gordan
>
> Thanks Gordan,

ESG