Re: [Linux-cluster] Clustering storage using RHCS to store VMs

Steven Whitehouse wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 12:57 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
Steven Whitehouse wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 11:50 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
Hi all,

I need to setup a rhcs with two nodes to use it for delivery storage for vmware esxi 4 and rhel5.4 kvm hosts.

Which type of filesystem is best to use on this topology to serve it via NFS for esxi and rhel5.4 kvm hosts: gfs2 or ext4??

That depends on whether you need multiple nodes exporting the same
filesystem or not.
I need to export only for 1 esxi host and 1 rhel5.4 kvm host (at this first stage. It is expected to grow until 4 esxi hosts and 2 rhel5.4 kvm hosts). And I need to export same filesystems to both and all future hosts ...

I'm not sure I understand. How many physical hosts have you got, and how
many virtual hosts and how are the virtual hosts arranged on the
physical hosts?

Sorry, I will try to explain:

- Physical hypervisor hosts: 2, one esxi and one rhel5.4 kvm. On a second planned phase (next months) will be six physical hosts: 4 esxi and 2 rhel5.4.

 - Virtual machines: 20 (windows, solaris and linux). Over next months will be more.

- KVM guests: 6 virtual machines. all redhat based acting as a mysql servers, apache services and smtp services.

- VMware guests: 14 virtual guests, most of them Windows 2008 R2 guests serving web pages, acting as a file servers, etc. A few Windows 7 guests for VDI.

If there is only one physical node through which the filesystem needs to
be made available, then ext4 would seem a reasonable choice for storing
the VMs. If you need a filesystem shared either between the VMs or
between physical hosts (but not both, as that causes fencing issues),
then gfs2 is probably what you want,

Steve.