[Linux-cluster] failing to grasp

ok, i can understand the usefulness of luci for creating clustered services.  yes, create the IP, add the init script of the daemon you want to pass back and forth.  i can build all that and it works fine.

what im not understanding is, whats the point of creating the file system as a service? what, is this also going to be passed back and forth between hosts?  i would think the file system should be available 100% of the time to both hosts.

perhaps someone can recommend me a good article that will help me setup *AND* comprehend the "whys" of why this is necessary to be setup in luci?  and i would also recommend any dissertation from anyone else as well, to help me understand this better.

thanks,